MHG22908 - Building - Chisholm Land, Breakachy Burn, Urchany
Ruined building, a possible threshing barn, Chisholm Land, Breakachy Burn, Urchany
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- THRESHING BARN? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A farmstead comprising two unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876-81, sheet ix) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1971) where what may be a head-dyke is also shown.
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 14 May 1996
The North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) undertook an archaeological survey of Urchany in 2015. On a prominent platform, with reeds and marshy ground to the south and improved grazing to the north, lies these structures. There is an animal enclosure to the NE and a building, maybe a threshing barn with associated kiln, to the SW. Around these structures are a variety of dykes and ditches. All the structures are covered with rampant bracken in the summer, and even in winter it is hard to identify all the building walls and dykes.
Site B207; Building with kiln. Rectangular building, 10m x 5m external dimensions, with a 2.5m entrance in the middle of the SE wall. On the opposite NW wall there is a break in the wall, through which an animal track passes. This second possible entrance is surrounded by tumble. Across the opening into the NE part of the building is an internal division with a gap in the middle. Against the SW wall of this building, and level with the top of the remaining wall, is a circular bowl-shaped structure, K201 (see MHG62211), likely to be a corn-drying kiln. <1>
1st Edition OS 6" <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2020. A NoSAS Survey of the Lands of Urchany: A Multi-period Settlement on the Braes West of Beauly: 6th-10th April 2015. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.99,107-110 Site B207, figures 308, 336-341. XY
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4431 4443 (8m by 7m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/109990 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.