MHG22916 - Bolinn

Summary

A farmstead, comprising two unroofed buildings, one enclosure and a ring-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map. This may represent the later configuration of a township.

Type and Period (3)

  • FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BOUNDARY DYKE (Unknown date)
  • TOWNSHIP? (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH20SE 7 2600 0159

A farmstead, comprising two unroofed buildings, one enclosure and a ring-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1873, sheet xcvii). Two unroofed buildings, one enclosure and the partial remains of the ring-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 6 June 1996

Information from a visitor to the HER websites on the township at Bolinn. There are a number of structures surviving on site, including a corn kiln, an animal pen, a number of houses and a cairn. Historic research indicates that the first evictions from this settlement were in 1787, but these were not the saem people who went from here to Canada in 1802. Old Parish Registers show that it continued to be occupied up to 1819, but there is no record after that date. The location is not quite the same as the one shown on General Roy's map but, with the raising of the water level by the Hydro-electric scheme in the 1950s, there is no way of verifying this. <1>

The information, images and plans supplied by Hector Rogers were a part of a honours dissertation undertaken in 2009. <2>

The farmstead recorded by RCAHMS on this site may represent the later reuse of this site. The enclosure, shown on 1st edition and modern mapping would seem to be part of the township layout. The unroofed buildings would also seem to be part of the township layout.<3><4>


<1> Rogers, H, 07/2010, Information on Bolinn Township from Hector Rogers (Text/Correspondence). SHG24820.


<2> Rogers, H, 2009, Clutching at Straws: the structural and archaeological imprint of the Glengarry chiefs attempts to retain control of their estate. (Text/Report). SHG25963.


<3> Carey, G, 2010-2011, Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer (Verbal Communication). SHG24799.


<4> Ordnance Survey, 1873-6, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire (Image/Map). SHG23755.

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 2599 0159 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH20SE
Civil Parish KILMONIVAIG
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.