MHG23004 - Possible Shieling Hut/Building and pen, Gleann Fhoidhaig
Shieling? Building and pen, Gleann Fhoidhaig
Type and Period (3)
- SHIELING HUT? (Medieval - 1058 AD? to 1559 AD?)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- PEN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NH14NE 4 150 487
What may be an unroofed shieling-hut is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xcv), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1970).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 4 March 1996
606 Building and Pen - NH 15013 48730 (Nmrs No NH14NE 0004) On a grassy south facing slope of an alluvial fan and adjacent to a burn which appears to have washed away the NE corner of the building. An odd shaped sub rectangular building with probable pen attached See sketch for details. The building is on an E-W axis measuring 8m x 3m overall. Main compartment measures c3m N-S x 2m internal, comprises the low and tumbled remains of drystone walls using large slabby stones and boulders is up to 0.5m in height, with rounded corners inside and out with signs of possible later adaptation inside this structure to make a smaller pen. A narrow entrance in the E wall leads into a possible pen with curving tumbled drystone walls running to the edge of the burn. The pen has an entrance c0.6m wide in the SE corner. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 APs. <2>
Note adjustment made based on 1st Edition OS Ross-shire 1881 and 2009 AP (T Blackie 26/10/17)
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2009. Report of Phase Two Scardroy and Upper Strathconon: May 2007 - December 2007. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.33 Site 606.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1501 4873 (11m by 9m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/109777 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.