MHG23006 - Farmstead and enclosures, Coire-Beithe
Farmstead and enclosures, Coire-Beithe
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
NH14NW 1 117 480
A farmstead comprising one roofed building, two unroofed buildings attached to an enclosure and a length of field wall is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet cvi). Two unroofed buildings and a short length of field wall are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 9 May 1996
Farmstead and enclosures (682 - 686) - NH 1170 4813 (Nmrs No NH14NW 0001) This farmstead was recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project and is on the north side of the River Meig in the very upper reaches of Gleann Fhiodhaig. It is on a south facing slope at an altitude of 300m and comprises 2 substantial buildings in alignment with one another, 2 enclosures and a structure which may be a further building. 1 roofed, and 1 unroofed building, an enclosure and a length of wall are marked on the FES. Four people were resident here on the census of 1871.
682 Building - The west most of the two buildings, measures 14m x 5m overall. Walls constructed of flat slabby stones, presenting a very even interior and exterior face with very large prominent quoin stones at the squared corners. The walls are 0.5m thick and up to 2m in height. The main part of the building, to the east is 10m in length and there is evidence of an entrance and 2 windows in the south wall. The outshot abutting to the west has an entrance, one window in the south wall and possibly a further entrance in the west gable.
683 Building - the east most of the two buildings, on a NE-SW axis this measures 5m x 4m overall. The walls are constructed of flat slabby stones and are up to 1.5m in height and 0.45m thick. No windows are evident but a probable entrance is seen in the south wall. Running along the front/south of these buildings there is a terrace with a retaining wall. Enclosure 684 is situated to the south between the buildings and the river, enclosure 685 is to the rear/north of the buildings.
684 Enclosure - To the south of buildings 682 and 683 this small enclosure is bounded on its north, west and part of east sides by a low wasted dry stone wall. The Allt a’Choire-bhiethe runs along the east side and the wall here extends northwards.
685 Enclosure - To the rear of buildings 682 and 683, this enclosure on the west side of the burn is surrounded by the very wasted remains of a stone wall.
686 Possible Building or group of conjoined buildings - 25m to the NW of the farmstead and just 5m from west bank of the Allt a’Choire-bheithe there are the ruins of a structure on a N-S axis which is 7m x 4m. The distinct outer walls of unhewn stones are 0.5m in height in parts. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 APs <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2009. Report of Phase Two Scardroy and Upper Strathconon: May 2007 - December 2007. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. P. 33/4 Sites 682-6.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1170 4806 (73m by 103m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/109779 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.