MHG23013 - Buildings - Loch Mullardoch, Kintail
Probable ruined shieling huts by Loch Mullardoch, Kintail
Type and Period (1)
- SHIELING HUT? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH13SW 1 1049 3036
What may be an unroofed shieling-hut is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1880, sheet cxx). Four unroofed buildings which may be shieling-huts are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 10 May 1996
The site was visited by R Spencer-Jones on the 7th of May 2014. At the time of this visit he described the site as:
"On the southern slope of the north side of Loch Mullardoch are the remains of a cluster of 5 buildings, now ruined with moss and grass covered walls, associated with a small burn to the east of Allt Coire Lungard. They all lie east-west, with doorways in the southern wall.
They may represent shielings.
Building 3 - NH 10577 30377, alt 276 – has low ruined walls, 6m x 2m, up to approx 0.3m high. The walls are best preserved at the western end.
Building 4 - NH 10507 30373, alt 279m – has low ruined walls, 8m x 2m, up to approx 0.4 metres. The walls are highest on the north, and deficient in the west.
Building 5 - NH 10487 30349, alt 276m – has ruined moss-covered walls, 6m x 2m, up to approx 0.4m high. The doorway in the south wall is 1m from the east wall.
Building 6 - NH 10451 30323, alt 276m – has ruined moss-covered walls, 7.5m x 2.5m, up to approx 0.4m high. The west wall is best preserved.
Building 7 - NH 10507 30249, alt 244m – has ruined moss-covered walls, 9.5m x 2.5m, up to approx 0.5m high. The west wall is best preserved. There is a doorway in south wall, 2.5m from the west wall." <1> <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
(Note; the 2021 report incorrectly states that these shielings are MHG23014. T.Blackie 7/2/22)
- <1> Text/Record Form: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2014. Loch Mullardoch Buildings - Site Record Form. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2021. Archaeological Structures in upper Glenn Cannich, centred on Lungard. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.12,38-42.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1051 3032 (138m by 131m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/109786 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.