MHG23043 - Buildings - Glenlicht House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH01NW 1 0055 1740
One roofed building and one unroofed building are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1880, sheet cxxix). Two unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 9 May 1996
The remains of two unroofed building were recorded during an NTS pre-afforestation survey of Kintail and West Affric in 1997. They were shown as unroofed in 1874. They were both aligned E/W with the larger measuring c13m by c4m over walls c0.9m wide and c0.3m high lying to the E. The smaller measured c6m by c3.5m over walls c0.6m wide and c0.5m high. They were both rectangular of drystone construction of ?dressed stones. A third structure c4m by c3m over walls c0.6m wide had been built into the hillside behind. The walls were partially collapsed but survived up to 0.5m high.
These structures (sheds or byres?) front what used to be the main track to Glenlicht House according to the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps. To the N of this track were the remains of a dyke aligning directly with the substantial dyke on the opposite side of the river. However this dyke was less substantially built.
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <2>
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 109755.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth. J. & Harden, J.. 1997. Kintail and West Affric Archaeological Survey. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 18/06/2004. Paper and Digital. KIN080.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 0054 1740 (20m by 17m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/109755 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.