MHG2307 - Monastic Settlement, St Catherines Monastery
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MONASTIC SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
ND25NE 4 2536 5697.
(ND 2536 5697) St Catherine's Monastery (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1906)
The traditional site of a monastery dedicated to St Catherine.
D Beaton 1909.
Part of the foundation of a monastery dedicated to St Catherine of Sienna might have been seen near the established church manse about 1850. There are no records to be had of it and the last remains were removed by Rev A Gunn (Free Church Manse).
Name Book 1871.
No remains of the monastery exist.
Visited by OS (R D L) 23 April 1963.
No change Visited by OS (J B) 18 March 1982.
- --- SHG1965 Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D. 1909. Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes. 57.
- --- SHG3342 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 12, 75.
- --- SHG3470 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2535 5697 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8734 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.