MHG2309 - Chapel, Kirk
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
ND25NE 6 2862 5925.
Kirk (NR) (Site of) OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1906)
The site of an old kirk. The sect is unknown, but it is generally supposed that district name 'Kirk' derives from this site.
Name Book 1871.
Site of an old chapel can still be seen at Kirk. (See also ND25NE 9 for earlier site.)
D Beaton 1909.
No remains exist at this site. Visited by OS (R D L) 23 April 1963.
(ND 2862 5925) Chapel (NR) (site of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
There is no evidence of a chapel at ND2862 5925. Close by, at ND2847 5916 in an arable field there is a roughly rectangular, turf-covered stony mount 20.5 by 5m and 0.5m high. It is believed by farmer (G MacAdie, Roadside, Kirk) and others in area to be remains of a chapel. There is an indication, possibly fortuitous, of a longitudinal wall on E side and distinct remains of short stretches of lateral walling protruding through turf on mound. No plan can be determined from this scant evidence. The present remains neither confirm nor deny an ecclesiastical use for structure. OS published site is assumed in locality to be erroneous.
Visited by OS (J B) 19 March 1982.
- --- SHG1965 Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D. 1909. Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes. 757.
- --- SHG3339 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 1, 81.
- --- SHG3470 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2861 5925 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8736 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.