MHG2315 - Chapel, Oldhall House
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
Chapel (NR) (rems of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
RCAHMS consider that this was a chapel of late date, while Macfarlane (1906-8) implies that it was in use in 1726 and Pennant (1790) mentions it in 1769 as if it were still intact.
It measures internally 48 by 18ft, has its entrance in E end, and two elliptical arched windows in the S wall. Beneath W half of the chapel is a burial vault which may belong to an earlier structure. RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910; T Pennant 1790; W Macfarlane 1906-8
The remains of this chapel, measuring 9.3 by 5.6m within walls 1m thick and extant to roof height, are generally as described above. The vault beneath, which has a barrel roof, is still intact and is now empty. The graveyard is still used occasionally for burials.
Visited by OS (R D) 27 October 1965
No change to previous field report other than there is some wall collapse in W side of chapel. The graveyard is still used occasionally.
Visited by OS (J M) 3 March 1982
Chapel. Dimensions: 9.3 x 5.6m. Rectangular structure containing the remains of a vault, covered in rubble. Associated graveyard has several tombstones of flat, table and upright form. Orientation E-W.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.
Pennant, T, 1790, Tour of Scotland, 368 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2615.
Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.), 1906-8, Geographical collections relating to Scotland, Vol. 1, 180 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2441.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 126, No. 459 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 180.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Pennant, T. 1790. Tour of Scotland. 368.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 126, No. 459.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2024 5601 (61m by 43m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:5732 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5732 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8743 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.