MHG2324 - Cairn, Lynegar House
Site of cairn of unknown type.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Cairn. Diameter: 30m. Circular grass-covered mound with a little structural detail visible.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
An undoubted cairn, visible as a turf-covered mound approx 26m in diameter and 1m high. Two or three random stone blocks are visible in the S side, but otherwise the mound is featureless.
Visited by OS (J M) 2 March 1982
Cairn (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
This grass-covered mound, situated on false crest of a hill, is generally as described by RCAHMS.
It has been ploughed down and now measures 26m in diameter. As stated by RCAHMS, from character of stones & topographical position of the mound, this would appear to be a cairn.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. visited by OS (R D) 28 October 1965
This is a grass-covered mound with a diameter of 93ft N-S by 99ft transversely and a height of from 5-6ft. RCAHMS (1911) say that although there are no definite surface indications of the character of the construction, such stones as are visible suggest a cairn rather than a broch.
A deleted note in ONB (1871) gives its main composition as 'a kind of burned earth and stones'.
Name Book 1871; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 12, 25 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3342.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 132-3, No. 479 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 132-3, No. 479.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 12, 25.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2330 5739 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:465 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM465 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8753 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.