MHG2329 - Chambered Cairn, Bylbster Bridge
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
An oval, Orkney-Cromarty type chambered cairn with Camster-type chamber. It is now grass-grown with indefinite edge, but appears to have measured about 70ft N-S by 55ft transversely. There appear to have been two chambers. Chamber to N of the mound is represented by four upright stones and one prostrate stone, with entrance from ESE. A group of upright stones marks position of second chamber at S side of cairn, with entrance from SSE.
A S Henshall 1963; RCAHMS 1911.
This chambered cairn appears as a mutilated, oval, turf-covered mound, 1.7m high. It is as described and planned by A S Henshall. Visited by OS (W D J) 25 April 1963.
A chambered cairn as described and planned above.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 29 April 1982
Chambered cairn, Bylbster bridge. Dimensions: 25 x 20m. Subcircular grass-covered mound 1.6m high containing numerous internal depressions.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
Re-scheduled by Historic Scotland, 11/03/02.
See assoc. docs. File.
J Aikten : 16/05/02.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 170-1, No. 541 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 258, CAT 5; plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S, 1991, The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents, 91-2, no. 5; plan (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2115.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 91-2, no. 5; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 170-1, No. 541.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 258, CAT 5; plan.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2694 5472 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:431 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM431 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8759 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.