MHG2358 - Church, Thura Mains
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
J Aitken : 09/01/03
ND26SW 8 2433 6173.
Church (NR) (rems of) OS 6" map, (1970)
The remains of old Established Church, built after Reformation, situated in graveyard a short distance S of Thura. (Replaced by present church, built about 1840 at ND 2301 6058)
Name Book 1872
This unroofed, ivy-covered church, measuring internally 20.2m E-W by 5.6m transversely, survives to a height of 3.3m. The walls are lime-mortared and 1m thick. Entrance is in S wall, but further entrances, now blocked, are visible in N, E and S walls. All four windows are also blocked. The interior contains several graves, one of which is dated 1750, suggesting that church was disused for some time prior to this date. As parish records have been destroyed, date and dedication of this church are unknown; ratio of length to breadth of building indicates either a pre-Reformation or pre-Reformation type church (info from Rev D Briggs, Bower Manse).
Visited by OS (N K B) 1 November 1965
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 10 May 1982
Church. Dimensions: 25 x 7m. Ruinous church overgrown with ivy. Windows and doors are mainly blocked. A pre-Reformatin date is implied by a door with moulded frame and pointed arch and presence of a water stoup. Orientation E-W.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2431 6174 (104m by 121m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8857 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.