MHG2364 - Chambered Long Cairn - Sordale Hill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED LONG CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Mound (NR) OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
This is a grass-grown long cairn lying N-S and expanding and rising slightly towards S end; its max length is 135ft. At N end it measures some 34ft in breadth and 3ft in height; at S end, 53ft in breadth and 7ft in height. At S end both horns are apparent for a distance of some 20ft from cairn, but have been reduced by ploughing. At N end only horn on E side is visible, extending for a distance of 18ft from cairn. Some 43ft along cairn, from centre of N end, a slab 3.5ft broad, set on end in direction of main axis of cairn protrudes for a few inches and possibly marks position of a chamber. The end ofcairn between horns at S end is straight rather than concave. There are various slight disturbances along the cairn.
A S Henshall 1963, visited 1956.
This horned long cairn is generally as described by Miss Henshall, except that SE end is 20m wide.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 10 November 1965.
(ND 1518 6181) Long Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, (1970)
An unchambered long cairn whose profile rises evenly from N to S ends. Narrow N end is square on plan and there is now no sign of horn previously noted. The sides are straight except for a slight expansion at very S where the short stubby horns splay out.
A S Henshall 1972, visited 1967.
No change. Visited by OS (J M) 29 October 1981
Horned long cairn. Length: 47m. Trapezoidal long cairn formed by a stony grass-covered mound 1.15m high, horned at either end. The wider end lies at S, 20m wide, forecourt 3m deep; at N the horns are 15m wide, the forecourt 2m deep. In centre are hollows indicating possible chambers. Orientation N-S.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
- --- SHG2115 Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 138-9, no. 52; plan.
- --- SHG357 Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 290, CAT 52.
- --- SHG358 Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 240, 297, 548, CAT 52.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1518 6181 (79m by 92m) (2 map features)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM483 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8513 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.