MHG23678 - Byre, Pier End Cottage, Inveralligin,
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BYRE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NG85NW0020 Cottage (MHG16297)
Earlier/mid 19th century, single storey cottage, 3 bays with centre door. Whitewashed rubble; small windows with 4-pane glazing; end stacks; corrugated iron roof. Small single storey whitewashed rubble byre with gable end to road, sited immediately to west of Pier End cottage; also with corrugated iron roof. <1>
This cottage and byre was included in the the walkover survey and desk-based assessment undertaken by J Wordsworth and J Harden at Torridon for the National Trust for Scotland in 1996-2002. They were likely to be those marked on the 1837 estate map.
Most of the other buildings along the foreshore W of Pier End Cottage had also been built by 1875 and some had their origins before 1840. <2>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <3>
- <1> Collection: Historic Scotland. Listed Buildings in the Highland Region.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J. & Harden, J.. 2002. Torridon Archaeological Survey 1996-2002. The National Trust for Scotland (NTS). 13/01/2003. Paper and Digital. TOR004.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8448 5754 (7m by 11m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB432 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/111239 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.