MHG23780 - Golspie, Main Street, Smithy To Rear of Anvil House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SMITHY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
See also NC80SW0086 Anvil House
Building constructed from sandstone blocks and is 1 storey high with a corrugated roof. In use although in what purpose it was unknown as private property not entered. <1>
Early 19th century smiddy with some later modifications. L-plan single storey range. Squared pink rubble with some snecking, roughly tooled dressings. NW facing elevation advanced bay at left with door, to right horizontally divided door and window; at extreme right low, slab-roofed projection, probably for housing bellows. Stack on SW gable. Seaward elevation with gable at right, off-centre window, unusual asymmetrical apex stack with light jamb joining the skew at lower level than left. Stacks with thackstanes. Corrugated-iron roof. <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sneddon, D, Gheorghiou, D, Hansom, J and Shearer, I. 03/2010. East Sutherland Coastal Zone Assessment survey: Data Structure Report. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 12/9/10. Digital. Site 185.
- <2> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 7005.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8345 0005 (15m by 14m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7005 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/111424 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.