MHG23784 - Site of wind pump, Millhill

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • WIND PUMP (In use, Second World War to 20th Century - 1945 AD to 1957 AD (between))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Information from ARCH Community Timeline Project: Auldearn:
Modern placename on OS maps is Millhill; local name for the site is Mill-o-Hill.

Information from Mrs. Doreen Davidson: 'A Potted History of the Windmill' supplied to ARCH Community Timeline course.
19th October 1944. Mr Davidson went to Darklass Farm to see Mr Russell and look at the windmill
28th October 1944. Mr Davidson went to Darklass with Mr Tolmie, builder and Mr Ross, plumber and viewed the mill and again to see about dismantling it.
24th January 1945. The hand pump broke down completely and water had then to be carried from the well in the field.
12th February 1945. After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing Mr Tolmie brought the windmill from Darklass. It cost £30. Meanwhile the scullery was demolished and a new kitchen built. The found & well were prepared for the windmill.
12th March 1945. The windmill was erected with help of Italians from Drumduan.
18th June 1945. The tank arrived for storing the water & placed on the kitchen roof.
13th July 1945. The windmill going at last.
A great deal of work had to be done with all the pipes, bathroom and septic tank.
The windmill was in use until 1957 when the mains water supply was installed. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 9120 5630 (10m by 10m)
Map sheet NH95NW
Civil Parish AULDEARN
Geographical Area NAIRN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.