MHG23826 - Forsinain Farm, Farr
A late C19 2 storey farm building at Forsinian Farm, Farr
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
This steading was built in 1878 as a new farm consisiting of a U-shaped range enclosing S facing covered yard. The N range is wide enough for two rows of cattle tyeings with a straw loft over, stables with loft, a mostly recent milking parlour in the W range and a cart lodge under the granary to the E. The barn forms a northern projection of the E range with a lade and water wheel site visible.
Visited by RCAHMS (GJD), April and July 1994; see NMRS MS 744/130/3. <1> <2>
A photographic survey was undertaen due to the conditions of a planning application, by J S Cross in Feburary 2007. <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Sutherland Estates. 1866-. Sutherland Estates building specifications. Forsinain 1878, 1-28; 1880 1-17.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Wade Martins, S. 1997. ''A Century of Farms and Farming on the Sutherland Estate, 1790 - 1890'', Review of Scottish Culture, Vol 10, 1996-7, pp 33-54. 50.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): J S Cross. 2007. Photographs of Forsinain Steading. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9120 4896 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/112207 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.