MHG23975 - Old Boleskine Parish Church, Watch House

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • WATCH HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

See also:
NH52SW0005 Church
NH52SW0013 Graveyard
JHooper, 12/12/2002
----
NH52SW 5.00 5076 2216

NG52SW 5.01 Centred NG 5075 2214 Cemetery
NG52SW 5.02 NG 5075 2212 House

(NH 50762216) Site of Boleskine Church Grave Yard {NAT}
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

The date of erection of Boleskine church cannot be ascertained, but it was destroyed c. 1777, in which year the present church, at Druim an Teampuill, was built. The graveyard in which the old church stood was being used for interments in 1870's (Name Book 1871) The church is marked 'in ruins' on Taylor & Skinners' map (G Talyor and A Skinner 1776).

There is no trace of the church. The burial ground has been enlarged and is still in use.
Visited by OS (R L) 17 December 1969

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 5077 2216 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH52SW
Civil Parish BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.