MHG2403 - Broch, Bardintulloch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
GR above corrected to site on 1st ed OS - HAW 6/2004
Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1977)
The site of a 'Pict's House' destroyed about 1867. Only a slight knoll now marks the site.
Name Book 1871.
The remains of a broch, almost obliterated by ploughing. On the NW side, as well as some facing stones protruding through the turf, there is a section of typical broch walling, 2.2m long and 0.7m high, overlaid by a modern fence. Two facing stones also occur on its SE side in a small area of ground avoided by the plough.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (A A) 4 May 1967.
A watching brief during ground-breaking works for a new house to the north of the broch did not identify any associated features. However it was apparent that part of the area had been stripped down to bedrock at some time during the first part of the 19th century so any earlier deposits will have been destroyed. <2>
ND23 11 UPPER CLYTH (‘Bardintulloch’, 'Pict's house')
Site of a possible broch in Latheron, Caithness, now almost completely destroyed by ploughing except for a section of “typical broch walling”  on the north-west. There was a 'Pict's house' here until about 1867 .
Source: 1. NMRS site no. ND 23 NE 9. <3>
- <1> SHG3390 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 6, 192.
- <2> SHG24182 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg, C. 03/2009. Morven View, 460m S of Badfallister, Occumster: Demolition of Ruinous Building, Erection of House and Installation of Services. Unaffiliated. Digital.
- <3> SHG26111 Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. ND23 11 UPPER CLYTH.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2731 3728 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8607 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.