MHG24073 - Struy Church
Built in 1896, this was possibly a replacement for the original Free Church and later taken over by the Church of Scotland.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Built, 19th Century - 1896 AD to 1896 AD)
- None recorded
J Aitken : 16/01/03
NH44SW 6 401 402
Architect: Ross & Macbeth (I. C. March 17, 1896)
Following a visit to the church on behalf of the Presbytery of Inverness, John Duncan reported that this church is not a Free Church. <1>
Inspection of the historic mapping subsequently revealed the site of a Free Church depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1876 around half a mile to the south east. This had disappeared by the time of the 2nd edition in 1902. The present church is attributed to the Church of Scotland on the 5th edition map c.1967. Possibly the church was originally built as a replacement for the old Free Church and subsequently taken over by the Church of Scotland, but it is hard to say on the map evidence alone. <2>-<4>
<1> Duncan, J, 2009, Email correspondence from John Duncan, former Highland Council Conservation Architect (Text/Correspondence). SHG24201.
<2> Ordnance Survey, 1873-6, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire (Image/Map). SHG23755.
<3> Ordnance Survey, 1902, Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire (Image/Map). SHG23947.
<4> Ordnance Survey, 1964-73, Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5a (Image/Map). SHG23419.
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Duncan, J. 2009. Email correspondence from John Duncan, former Highland Council Conservation Architect. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1964-73. Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5a. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 40134 40211 (21m by 14m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/100472 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.