MHG24108 - Beacon, Leac Ghlas

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • BEACON (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Renumbered from ND12NE0065B/SW0025B
See also ND12SW0025 for first tower.
JHooper, 27/09/2001


ND12SW 25.01 1180 2220

For archive and manuscripts see ND 25.00

Two towers either round or square set a furlong apart and said to be built of land clearance stones although Batey (1982) doubts this. The more northerly is 6.5m high and the other 5m high and severely damaged on the south side.
Both sites are annotated 'Survey Control Point' on the OS 6" map, Caithness, 1st ed., 1871 but they are not noted in the Name Book.
D MacDonald, A Polson and J Brown 1931; C Batey 1982

This is the south tower, not to be confused with ND12SW 25, ND 1197 2233


MacDonald, Polson and Brown, D, A and J, {1931}, The book of Ross, Sutherland and Caithness, Orkney and Shetland: descriptive, historical and antiquarian notes, 104 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2437.


Batey, C E, 1982, Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2, no. 298 (Text/Report). SHG1960.

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 1182 2220 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND12SW
Civil Parish LATHERON
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.