MHG2422 - Hospital, Obsdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOSPITAL (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
A lesser hospital or hospice is shown at Ousdale (ND 070 200), an alternative spelling being given as 'Obsdale'.
Cowan (Cowan and Easson 1978) equates references to 'Obsdale' in 1384, 1490 and post-Reformation with a 'Hospitale' between Helmsdale and Wick mentioned in 1290 (see ND13SE 54).
Further equation of 'Obsdale' with 'Ousdale', on unknown grounds, is presumably the reason for its publication on the map (supra). His sub-references, however, make it clear that the place referred to is in Rosskeen parish, in the Earldom and Doicese of Ross, and is in fact, the Obsdale at NH 665 699 (see NH66NE).
Orig Paroch Scot 1855; I B Cowan and D E Easson 1976; Information from OS map of Monastic Britain by I B Cowan 1978, 34.
See assoc. deocs file.
J Aitken : 06/03/01.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Cowan and Easson, I B and D E. 1976. Medieval religious houses, Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man. 2nd ed.. 199.
- --- Collection/Catalogue/Gazetteer: R Cachart, C Murray and D W Hall. 06/07/00. Gazetteer of Medieval Hospital Sites.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 469.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0700 2000 (140m by 140m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7548 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.