MHG24233 - Farmstead and Enclosure, Coille Fearna
Farmstead and Enclosure at Coille Fearna
Type and Period (3)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NH35NE 7 373 560
A single unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet lxxxvi), but it is not shown on the current edition of the 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 5 March 1996.
This farmstead and enclosure (700 – 703) centred on NH 3736 5602 (Nmrs No NH35NE 0007) was recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project.Alternative name Fearnach, T(F)rannoch. The site is on a south facing slope at a narrow part of the glen, 200m west of the Meig dam. It comprises 3 buildings and an enclosure; part of the enclosure has been inundated by water from the reservoir, much of the rest of the site has been planted with coniferous trees, but a section next to the water has sparse birch.
700 Building - NH 37415 56020 The substantial moss covered stone footings of a rectangular building on a NE-SW axis are on a steepish SE facing slope. The overall measurement of the building is 16m x 4.5m and it has 2 compartments; the main NE compartment has internal dimensions of 7m x 3m and the SW compartment is 3.5m x 3m. The remains of the walls are generally 0.5m in height (but 0.8m at the west end) and have a thickness of 0.8-1m, although there is a considerable amount of tumble making a spread of 2m in places (at the east end). There is an entrance at the east end of the south wall 1m in width and a possible entrance to the SW compartment in the S wall (0.6m in width). A large hollow in the slope is located to the south of the east entrance; it is roughly 8m x 6m and 1.5m deep.
701 Enclosure - centred on NH 3736 5600. An irregular enclosure lies to the SW of building 700; it is approximately 100m x 50m, much of it has been inundated by the water of Loch Meig which bounds it to the south. On the north side the enclosure is bounded by the footings of a curving stone wall; these are generally 0.4m in height and 0.6-0.8m in thickness and much wasted. Building 702 abuts this wall in the west section.
702 Building - NH 37337 56029 (taken 10m to N of building) This building is covered by coniferous trees apart from the rear/N wall footings. It is rectangular and on an E-W axis measuring 16m x 4.5m overall. It has two compartments, the main/west compartment has internal measurements of 9.5m x 3.5m and the east compartment, which is at a lower level (by 0.7m) is 5m x 3.5m. The rear/N wall is 0.5m in height and has a spread of 1m, there is a back ditch here. The front/S wall is defined by a stone revetment 0.5-0.8m in height; it has probably been robbed of its stone.
703 Building - NH 37338 56008 This building is a few metres to the SW of 701. It is on a N-S axis and has internal
measurements of 5m x 3m although the line of the rear/N wall is unclear. The stone footings have a spread of 1m and
are generally 0.5m in height although at the south end the outer face is 0.8m height. It is planted with trees. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3736 5602 (158m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/103108 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.