MHG24234 - Curin Settlement, Strathconon
Curin Township at Strathconon
Type and Period (5)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SHIELING HUT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- PEN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A range of buildings dispersed largely to the S of the road on terraces. A number still in use (modernised). Surrounded by a small collection of grazing fields. Stone boundary dykes survive in places, particularly along the road. Photos 07/06/2005 - HAW
NH35NE 8 3787 5591
A township comprising 8 roofed buildings, one unroofed building and three enclosures is depicted on 1st edition of OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet lxxxvi). Two roofed, two enclosures and some field walls are shown on current edition 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 5 March 1996.
This is an area of depopulation. One building has been partially excavated by owner.
See assoc. docs. File. J Aitken : 01/02/01.
Possible Township. The settlement was recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project and is situated on a gently north facing slope on the south side of the River Meig above the Meig gorge. There are 6 occupied houses, four of which are recent bungalows and these have not been recorded, although two are marked on the FES. The settlement site is thought (by the owner of the main building) to have been a droving stance and his own house the old inn. An old (droving) road (MHG43410) runs along the back of the house and can be followed both east and west to join the line of the present road. The Meig Dam and reservoir are immediately to the west and there has been considerable disturbance of the surrounding land due to the construction of this, the diversion of the present motor road and forestry.
277 Building - NH 37996 55917 Roofed and in good order to rear of main building. Marked on FES.
278 Building - NH 38052 55925 Roofed, in good condition and used as a shed for horses. The original stone footings form the lower part of the building and are 0.5 - 0.8m high. The building on an E-W axis measures 4m x 2.5m internally and the NE corner is recessed into a knoll.
279 Building and enclosure - NH 37862 55830 The stone footings of a rectangular building on an E-W axis measure 9m x 3.5m internally and lie on the east side of a small stream. They are generally 0.5m in height, the corners are squared and a fallen tree lies across the building. A sub-square enclosure abuts to the north, it is 17m x 15m and the low stone footings are only a single course in thickness.
281 Enclosure - NH 37808 55839 an irregular shaped enclosure, badly damaged by forestry planting and felling and with a forest road making a sweeping bend through the middle of it. The south part of the enclosure has surrounding low walls with a scatter/spread of 1m. The enclosure abuts the old track, 283, to the north and the stream to the east. A pen, 282, is incorporated in the west wall.
282 Probable Pen - NH 37802 55848 A crudely built 3 sided rectangular building on a NE-SW axis measures 2.5m x 1.5m internally. The walls are upstanding to 1m.
288 Building/possible Sheiling - NH 37773 55775 in a sheltered place just above the deer fence and the forest are the incomplete turf and stone banks of a rectangular building on a N-S axis measuring 6m x 2m internally. The banks are up to 0.6m high and heavily bracken infested. There is an area of flattish improved ground to the south and west.
284 Earthbank - NH 38072 55934 (W end) to NH 38163 55952 (E end) A substantial earthbank of turf and stone with a height of 0.6m and a spread of 1.5m, this bank has a winding course for 100m and may define an enclosure to the north with the old track, 283, to the south.
280 Bridge abutment - NH 37857 55885 On the east side of a small stream and of dry stone construction, this abutment is relatively intact and measures 4m in width and 1.5m in height. <1>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2009. A Project to Identify, Survey and Record Archaeological Remains in Strathconon, Ross-shire: Report of Phase One Scatwell and Lower Strathconon. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. 23/01/2009. Digital. P. 52,53 Sites 277,278,279,280,281,282,284,288. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3783 5592 (371m by 243m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/103109 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.