MHG24235 - Farmstead, enclosure, sheepfold and probable sheepdip, Loch Meig
Farmstead, enclosure, sheepfold and probable sheepdip at Loch Meig
Type and Period (4)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SHEEP DIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SHEEP FOLD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Sheepfanks. Altitude 99m. <1>
NH35NE 9 3550 5580
A farmstead comprising four roofed buildings, one unroofed L-shaped building of two compartments with an enclosure in the return and two enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet lxxxvi). Part of the site was submerged when Loch Meig was created by a Hydro-electric scheme, but two unroofed buildings, one of which has two compartments, and two enclosures are shown on the current edition of the 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 5 March 1996.
Farmstead, enclosure, sheepfold and probable sheepdip (706 – 709, 801) - centred on NH 3552 5576 (Nmrs No - NH35NE 0009) The site is on a south facing slope on the N shore of Loch Meig, 2 kilometre to the west of the dam and was recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project. It comprises a large linear enclosure, a building, a sheepfold and a probable sheep dip. A large part of the enclosure and a couple of buildings (marked on 1st edition OS map) have been flooded by Loch Meig. The north part of the site has been planted with coniferous trees which are now quite mature; the south part is grassy but has gorse bushes. On the 1st edition OS survey this site appears as a settlement with several roofed buildings and photographs taken in the 1950s, before the construction of the reservoir, suggest a much larger main building, 706, than the footings would indicate today.
706 Building - NH 35490 55773 The remains of a rectangular building on an E-W axis, measure 6.5m x 3.5m internally. The west wall is of dressed stone and mortared; it is 0.6m in thickness and 1.5m in height, but reaches 2m in the NW corner. There is a small alcove, 0.4m wide x 0.5m high x 0.15 deep, in the south part of this wall. The north wall is recessed into the slope, tumbled in places but reaches 1m at its east end. The south wall is barely discernable in the grass. The east wall is formed by the stone face, 0.5m in height, of a retaining wall for an adjacent sloping track. This may well be of more recent construction and may overly the east part of the former building. Photographs taken in the 1950s, before the construction of the reservoir, suggest a much larger building than the footings would indicate.
707 Enclosure - NH 35441 55761 (west end) - NH 35609 55740 (east end) A linear enclosure on an E-W axis, roughly 160m in length but only 70m in width and narrowing considerably to either end. The majority of the enclosure and adjacent fields have been inundated by the reservoir. A building, 706, lies roughly centrally and the sheepfold, 708, and sheepdip, 709, are adjacent to the north abutting the surrounding wall of the enclosure. This wall, which defines the north of the enclosure, is substantial and largely intact. It is 1.2-1.5m in height and generally 0.8m in thickness tapering towards the top.
708 Sheepfold - NH 35515 55777 A rectangular sheepfold lies to the north of enclosure 707. The wall of enclosure 707 forms the south and east wall of the sheepfold and this is largely intact but the rest of the sheepfold is very wasted and tumbled. The dividing walls of the compartments are 0.4-0.7m in height and have variable spreads of 1-2m - see plan.
709 Probable sheepdip - NH 35532 55780 A substantial structure on a N-S axis in the angle of the wall to the east of the sheepfold, 708, and south of the main wall of enclosure 707. Two compartments each 1.5m in width are defined by 2 substantial walls each 1.5m in height the west/internal one is 2.5m in length, the east/outer is 4m and borders a concrete base which extends south a further 2m forming a possible floor to the structure - see plan. This structure may be a sheepdip which has been filled in for safety reasons (although there is no access from the sheepfold), or it may be a shearing shed.
801 Building - NH 35470 55820 A small rectangular stone built building cut into the hillside on the east side of a burn. South facing, it is 3m (E-W) x 2m internally. Three walls are double faced and to 0.6m height, the retaining wall to the rear stands to c1m. Moss covered and under trees. <2>
- <1> SHG2094 Text/Publication/Volume: Ross, D.W.. 1991. Forestry Survey, Achlorachan Wood, Strathconon.
- <2> SHG24904 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Three Loch Meig to Dalbreac: February 2008 to June 2008, August 2009 to October 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p. 36 Sites 706-9, 801. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3554 5577 (220m by 88m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/103110 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.