MHG24252 - Farmstead and enclosure, Allt Mhic Fannain Strathconon
Farmstead and enclosure at Allt Mhic Fannain
Type and Period (2)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NH25SE 17 272 514
A farmstead comprising unroofed building attached to an enclosure, and two other enclosures are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet xcvi), but they are not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 5 March 1996
Allt Mhic Fannain
Buildings and enclosures - centred on NH 2698 5113. (Nmrs No NH25SE 0017) Within a linear area of 400m length, close to the road and on either side of the Allt Mhic Fannain there are several enclosures, a farmstead, 2 small buildings/possible sheilings and a free standing brick chimney piece (probably contemporary with the timber camp on the east side of the river). They were recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project.
1022 Farmstead and enclosure (Nmrs No NH25SE 0017) - NH27230 51421 Situated on a terrace above the road this farmstead is on a NW-SE alignment. The rectangular building with squared corners has an internal dimension of 7m x 3m. The surrounding turf and stone walls are 0.5m high. There is an outshot 3m in length to the SE and an irregular enclosure, 10m x 4-8m to the NE; it is surrounded by a wasted dry stone wall to 0.7m height. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 APs <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Four Strathanmore to Loch Beannacharain: May 2008 - June 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.32 Site 1022.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2722 5142 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/103093 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.