MHG24388 - Enclosure, Braes of Ullapool
An enclosure and associated buildings recorded on an estate map of 1755.
Type and Period (2)
- ENCLOSURE (16th Century to 18th Century - 1560 AD to 1755 AD)
- BUILDING (16th Century to 18th Century - 1560 AD to 1755 AD)
- None recorded
NH19SW 14 149 934
An enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1881, sheet xiv), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1985).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 6 February 1996
The enclosure was also recorded on the 1755 Peter May map as an area of arable land containing buildings. It survives as a level improved field bounded by drystone dykes to NE and SE in various states of repair and a stream to the SW and forestry to the NW. (Photo 22) There are the rubble footings of one rectangular building at the break of slope to the west, behind which are rigs on the slope. Running parallel with the remains of the drystone wall to the SE is a deep dry ditch of unknown function. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 14891 93440 (155m by 248m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/103271 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.