MHG24389 - Sheep park, Corry Bridge
A sheep park which is likely to have been constructed c.1833.
Type and Period (5)
- (Former Type) FARMSTEAD (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- STOCK ENCLOSURE (Built, 19th Century - 1833 AD to 1833 AD (circa))
- FANK (Built, 19th Century - 1833 AD to 1833 AD (circa))
- SHEEP FOLD (Built, 19th Century - 1833 AD to 1833 AD (circa))
- HOUSE (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH19SW 21 146 928
A farmstead comprising one roofed and one unroofed building of two compartments, an enclosure and a sheepfold is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1881, sheet xxii). One unroofed building, an enclosure and a sheepfold are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1985).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 14 February 1996
A sub-square sheep park enclosed by drystone dykes in excellent condition and demonstrating a local style with smaller stones used on the lower courses and large capstones (Photos 29-34). In the south corner the remains of a rectangular 19th century house is incorporated into a sheep fank. This is recorded on the 1849 Admiralty chart and is likely to have been constructed when Walter Mundell took on the sheep farming tenancy around 1833. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 14540 92943 (162m by 135m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/103272 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.