MHG24489 - Hut Circle - Altandhu
A hut circle at Altandhu.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Altandhu.
NB91SE 9908 1199
This hut-circle is overlain by the current croft fence and an earlier croft-dyke. It measures 5.5m in diameter within stony banks spread to 1.2m in thickness and 0.4m in height with a possible entrance on the SE, where there is a slight dip in the perimeter.
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 9 June 1994
A heather covered circle partially truncated by the turf and stone boundary dyke.
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 29/03/04
199086 911984 Altandhu 2 CMM302: The hut circle was visited by A Welti and C MacNeilage in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. The circular stone structure is in poor condition. It lies on a gentle west facing slope on the edge of a heather covered hillside. It abutts an ancient stone field boundary. To the north is abundant grazing land. A modern fence line running parallel to, and 1m to the south of, the ancient field boundary, cuts the HC, and has destroyed the northern arc. Bracken obscures many of the stones. The HC platform has a clearly visible embankment with some large boulders showing on the western arc. The HC is 20m from a stream, 100m from the freshwatwer Loch Camas an Fheidh, and 500m from the sea. Average inner diameter is 5.7m, outer diameter is 8.7m. The double skinned wall is 1.2m thick with maximum height 0.2m. A possible entrance faces south east with width 1.2m and passage length 1.2m. CMM302 is distant 40m from CMM301 (see MHG33093). <1> <2>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
NGR adjusted to position as seen on 2009 vertical APs. <3>
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. CMM302.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. CMM302.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NB 9908 1199 (11m by 11m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/114606 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.