MHG2456 - Hut Circle, Bouilag
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Pict's House (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map, Caithness, 1st ed., (1871)
There are two hut circles some 40 yds apart on the slope of a hill. The northerly hut (B) is 30ft in diameter internally within an overgrown wall or bank about 7ft thick. A facing of stones set on end is visible here and there around the exterior. The entrance is in the E; its breadth is indefinite. The south hut circle (A) is 23 by 25ft within a wall, 6ft thick, which has been faced externally with large flat stones, 2 to 3ft in length and 1ft in thickness, laid almost contiguously. The entrance, in the E, is 2 ft wide. (NB.: This report had previously been erroneously recorded as ND03SE 7, q.v.)
Centred ND 096 331. 2 hut circles as described by the RCAHMS.
Visited by OS (W D J) 29 June 1960.
(A: ND 0957 3323; B: ND 0960 3312) Hut Circles (NR)
OS 6" map, (1962)
Situated at ND 096 332, on a gentle N-facing slope in open moorland, is a group of 4 hut circles (A-D) including the two described by the RCAHMS (A and B).
'A' measures 11.5m E-W by 10.5m transversely within a wall spread to 1.5 -2m and 0.3m average internal height. The wall expands to an actual width of about 2m at entrance, in the E. The outer face of contiguous blocks laid flat (see RCAHMS) is an unusual feature.
Hut 'B' is 9m diameter within a wall spread to 3m wide and surviving to 0.6m in height. Occasional inner and outer facing stones are exposed suggesting a wall thickness of about 2m between faces. On the S side of the entrance, in the E, is a displaced upright portal stone.
Huts 'C' and 'D', both overgrown with heather, are newly discovered. The former, at ND 0966 3313, measures 7.5m in diameter within a wall spread to 2m widening to 3m thick at the simple entrance in the E arc.
Hut 'D' appears to have been robbed for stones presumably for the early modern deserted hill farms nearby. It is 11m in overall diameter; the wall is of indeterminate thickness and the position of the entrance is uncertain.
There is no evidence of associated cultivation.
Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (N K B) 11 August 1982.
Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG3905.
Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph). SHG3906.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 64, No. 235 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 64, No. 235.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0961 3317 (158m by 178m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:5169 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5169 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7583 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.