MHG2468 - Farmstead, Achvarasdal
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- HEAD DYKE (Undated)
- None recorded
Renumbered from NC96SE0039A
NC96SE 57 centred on 993 621
Achvarasdal is an abandoned farmstead comprising a longhouse 20m by 7m with a central division; and an enclosure 17m by 6m attached to its west side. A second enclosure, 10m by 4m, lies to the SW and both enclosures are attached to a third which is subrectangular,78m by 32m.
R J Mercer 1985.
What may be a small township comprising two unroofed long buildings, a structure and an enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet x). A head-dyke found during the field survey (Mercer 1985) runs E-W across the full extent of the site to the N of the buildings. Three unroofed buildings, a structure and an enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1987).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 11 September 1995.
Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H., 1985, Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983, 163-4, No. FOR 58-60; fig. 86 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG2512.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9936 6206 (428m by 221m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7381 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.