MHG24756 - Polished Stone Axehead, Burghfield
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NH 795 900 A polished stone axehead, with bevelled edges and no high gloss. It is made from brown/grey rock and is 101.5mm long by 55.5mm broad by 28mm thick. <1>
Submitted to Treasure Trove in 1997 (TT 33/97) and allocated to Inverness Museum. It is listed under Acc. No. 1998.004 in the IMAG catalogue. <2> <3>
Photographs of the axehead are held within Inverness Museum archive files. <4>
The axehead is on display at Historylinks Museum (2019) having been loaned from Inverness Museum. Acc. No. 1998.004. <5>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Weeks, P & Gallon, M. 1998. 'Burghfield, Dornoch (Dornoch parish), polished stone axehead', Discovery Excav Scot, 1998. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 50. pp. 50.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 33/97.
- <3> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 1998.004.
- <4> Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files. 1998.004.
- <5> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Historylinks Museum. 1998.004.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7949 9000 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.