MHG24769 - Coille Baile Na Cuile
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- PLANTATION BANK (Undated)
- None recorded
NH69SE 43 centred on 676 905
A series of substantial turf-and stone banks, thought to be plantation banks were recorded during a forestry survey by Headland Archaeology (NMRS MS 899/25, no.13) . The banks, which are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet cxi) correspond with areas of woodland mapped by Burnett and Scott (1853) and which pre-date the more general period of tree-planting around 1870.
S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.13
NH 66 90 (centre) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5sq km of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874.
NH 676 905 (centre) Plantation banks.
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
S Carter 1997
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6759 9050 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/119255 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.