MHG24773 - Ledmore Wood
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Undated)
- None recorded
NH68NE 82 6575 8920
A field-system, which is depicted as two adjacent clearings in Ledmore Wood on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879-81, sheet cxi) was recorded during the course of a forestry survey by Headland Archaeology (NMRS MS 899/25, no.21).
The clearings are defined by stone banks and clearance heaps. There is a single platform, measuring 8m by 6m, in the centre of the W field and a small enclosure at the E limit.
S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.21
NH 66 90 (centre) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5sq km of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874.
NH 6575 8920 Platform, fields, clearance cairns.
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
S Carter 1997
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Carter, S. 1997. 'Ledmore and Migdale (Creich parish), pre-afforestation survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.45. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 45. 45.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J/Carter S. 1997. Forestry Survey: Ledmore & Migdale, Spinningdale, Sutherland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. 05/02/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6574 8920 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/119259 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.