MHG24774 - Ledmore Wood

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CLEARANCE CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH68NE 83 6650 8930

An area of field clearance cairns, occupying a relatively level terrace on a hillside at the upper edge of an oak wood was visited during a forestry survey by Headland Archaeology (NMRS MS 899/25, no.24).
S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.24

NH 66 90 (centre) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5sq km of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874.
NH 6650 8930 Clearance cairns.
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
S Carter 1997

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6650 8930 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH68NE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish CREICH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.