MHG24933 - Lime kiln at Dulnain Bridge
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- LIME KILN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Large limekiln to the north of the centre of Dulnain Bridge. Situated to the north of the minor road leading to Finlarig. Associated with extensive limestone quarrying at NH 999 261; there is a local report that the quarries and kiln were linked by an aerial conveyor system. The limekiln is in excellent condition. <1>
Site visited and photographed by John Halliday, 5/10/03. Highland Archaeology Challenge.
See assoc. docs. File. <2>
This site was included in a desk-based assessment carried out in November 2007 in advance of water main renewal works. A precautionary site visit was recommended to view the open trench. <3> The trench was dug and backfilled without the presence of an archaeologist, however it was diverted to the opposite side of the road to avoid damage to the lime kiln. <4>
This site was visited during a walkover survey in March and April 2011. See the linked event (EHG3560) to download the survey report. <5><6>
- <1> Verbal Communication: Robins, G. Information from Graham Robins, Badenoch & Strathspey Community Archaeologist. 07/10/1999.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Aitken, J. Comments by Jacquie Aitken, SMR Assistant.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: McCullagh, C and Wood, J. 2007. Desk Based Assessment and Walk-over Survey: Dulnain Bridge Water Main Renewal. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. 28/11/2007. Digital. F13.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: McCullagh, C and Wood, J. 2008. Watching Brief: Dulnain Bridge Water Main Renewal. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. 28/01/2008. Digital. p 6, Fig 3.
- <5> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Fraser, L. and Peteranna, M.. 05/2011. Glenfeshie Estate Woodland Restoration Scheme: Desk-based Assessment and Walkover Survey. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 27a.
- <6> Collection/Project Archive: Fraser, L and Peteranna, M. 05/2011. Glenfeshie Estate Woodland Restoration Scheme: Desk-based Assessment and Walkover Survey. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 27a.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9984 2499 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROMDALE, INVERALLAN AND ADVIE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (3)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/284950 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.