MHG24942 - Round cairn - Creag Sron Chrubaidh
A round cairn at Creag Sron Chrubaidh.
Type and Period (2)
- ROUND CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- (Alternate Type) KERB CAIRN? (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
A kerb cairn at Creag Sron Chrubaidh.
NC22SE 16 2517 2064 and 2517 2068
NC 26 20 (centre) A rapid archaeological assessment was undertaken over c 10km2 of the Inchnadamph National Nature Reserve. Features such as the ?Bone Caves? And the shielings had been recorded previously. This survey recorded evidence of post-medieval settlement and agricultural use in addition to that marked on the OS map and the remains of a prehistoric settlement and possible burial cairn:
NC 2517 2064 Possible kerbed burial cairn, c 8m in diameter and 1m high.
NC 2517 2068 Two sub-circular platforms on slight rises; possibly settings for roundhouses, with many clearance cairns in immediate surroundings.
A copy of the report has been lodged with the NMRS.
J Harden 1996 <1>
Visited by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in December 2009. On a gentle slope leading up the Blar Nam cliffs is a circular, moss, bracken and turf covered, stoney mound which may be a chambered cairn. It has a slight central depression suggesting a collapsed chamber and is constructed of uneven, sub-angular gathered rubble. There are a number of larger stones averaging 0.50m by 0.30cm by 0.15cm on the NW side, which may be kerb stones. A possible horn exists on the north north west side although this feature is indistinct and may be due to collapse. The mound is surrounded by natural mounds on its N, E and S sides and 50m NE of it are two relatively flat areas, 15m x 7m aligned N/S, which are possibly prepared platforms. 100m north of the cairn is a collection of eight clearance cairns. <2>
The cairn was proposed for Scheduling by Historic Environment Scotland in 2018. This came into effect as of 29/08/2018. <3>
GIS spatial data amended in 2019 according to apparent location as seen on 2009 vertical APs. Note that this does differ slightly from the area as scheduled by HES. <4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Harden, J. 1996. 'Inchnadamph (Assynt parish), survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1996, p.59. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 59. 59.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 132, p.129.
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2018. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13696: Creag Sron Chrubaidh, cairn 1km SSW of Inchnadamph Hotel. Historic Environment Scotland. 03/09/2018. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2505 2062 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13696 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/136086 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.