MHG24958 - Farmstead - Achadh A'Chatha
Ruined farmstead at Achadh A'Chatha (east)
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A farmstead comprising three unroofed buildings and an enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1872, sheet lxxxvii). Four unroofed buildings and an enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1994).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 17 July 1996
A survey of the area around Achadh A'Chatha (east) was undertaken by members of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NoSAS) in 2002. The settlement is situated at a height of 370m on a SW facing slope. It is comprises of 6 buildings and 2 enclosures. An area of improved land lies at the same height to the east of this settlement. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2017 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2003. Survey and Record of Visible Remains of the Settlements known as Achadh a' Chatha, Raitts Burn, Kingussie. North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS). 03/05/2003. .
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2017. Getmapping aerial photography 2017. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7843 0405 (137m by 187m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KINGUSSIE AND INSH|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/115696 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.