MHG2507 - Bronze Strap End - Sandside Links
Findspot of Viking Bronze strap end.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (CULTURE 800; CULTURE NORSE; , Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
- None recorded
NC96NE 23 96 65.
A Viking bronze strap-end, 1 7/8 ins long and 5/16 in broad, found on Sandside Links (NC 9665) in 1926, was acquired by the NMAS in 1947 (Acc No: IL 673). It is similar to the 9th century silver strap tag found at Talnotrie, Kirkcudbright.
A J H Edwards 1929; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1949; Information from NMAS Accessions Card Index.
A 'Whitby' bronze strap-end decorated with 'Trewhiddle'- style late Saxon ornament. L Laing 1973.
NB there is a very strong possibility that this was found in the Norse cemetery to the NW of the Drill Hall. Finds from this sitre are reported as being transferred to the NMAS. If so GR corrected to above is much more accurate - HAW 2/2003
The NMS catalogue lists this under Acc. No. IL 673, and describes it as bronze, elongated oval in shape, pointed at one end and having two holes side by side at the other. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Laing, L R. 1973. 'The Angles in Scotland and the Mote of Mark', Trans Dumfriesshire Galloway Natur Hist Antiq Soc Vol. 50 1973, p.37-52. Trans Dumfriesshire Galloway Natur Hist Antiq Soc. 37-52. 46.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1949. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.189-201. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 189-201. 193.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Edwards, A J H. 1929. 'Excavations at Reay Links and at a horned cairn at Lower Dounreay, Caithness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 63 1928-9, p.138-50. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 138-50. 139-40; fig. 1.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. IL 673.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9728 6511 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- STRAP FITTING (Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7263 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.