MHG2509 - Ring Headed Pin Mould - Sandside Bay
Clay pin mould, Sandside Bay
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
NB at this time the NMAS were acquiring finds from the Norse and possibly earlier cemetery to the NW of the Drill Hall, if so the GR could be more accurately located to 297290965120 - HAW 2/2003
NC96NE 27 96 65.
Part of a clay mould for casting a ring-headed pin, measuring 2.5" in length, and a point of a deer-horn tine cut off 2.5" ins from the point and hollowed out for use as a handle, found in the sands at Reay (NC 9665) were purchased for the NMAS in 1927 (Acc Nos: HR 816 and HR 817 respectively).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1927.
The mould is for Iron Age projecting ring-headed pins.
D V Clarke 1971.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Clarke, D V. 1971. 'Small finds in the Atlantic Province: Problems of approach', Scot Archaeol Forum Vol. 3 1971, p.22-54. Scot Archaeol Forum. 22-54. 50.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. HR 816, HR 817.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1927. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 61 1926-7, p.9-29, 104-11, 164-9, 192-5, 234-8, 259-63. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 9-29, 104-11, 164-9, 192-. 109-10.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9600 6500 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- MOULD (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- HANDLE (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7265 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.