MHG2513 - Pictish Slab Fragment - Dounreay
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- FINDSPOT (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
- CROSS SLAB (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
A fragment of a Pictish slab, 200mm long, from foot of cliffs at Dounreay (NC 98 67), was presented to NMAS by Stevenage Museum.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1977.
No further info was obtained regarding this find.
Visited by OS (J B) 8 September 1981.
During construction of Power Station at Dounreay, a Class 3 decorated slab was found at foot of cliffs. It measures 0.2m x 0.15m x 0.01m and is 'slatey-grey' stone. It bears a key pattern in low relief on one face and could be part of the cross-shaft found at Reay parish church (NC 967 648, NC 96 SE 1) (now in NMAS IB 267). It was presented to RMS(NMAS) by Stevenage Museum, Hertfordshire in 1974 (NMAS: IB 303).
Info from R Jones 1980.
Dounreay, Caithness, fragment of free-standing cross
Measurements: L 0.20m, W 0.15m
Stone type: grey sandstone
Place of discovery: NC c 98 67
Present location: National Museums Scotland, Edinburgh (IB 303)
Evidence for discovery: found in the early 1970s during the construction of the Dounreay Nuclear Facility, at the foot of the cliff, and taken to Stevenage Museum before being donated to the museum in 1974.
Present condition: broken
Part of the arm of a cross, this fragment bears a diagonal key pattern executed in low relief.
Date: ninth century.
Early Medieval Carved Stones Project, A Ritchie 2016
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 7270.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. IB 303.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1977. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 106 1974-5, p.229-33. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 229-33. 230; illust..
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9800 6700 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- CROSS? (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7270 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.