MHG2518 - Chapel, Isauld
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Chapel (NR) (site of) OS 6"map, (1967)
A small, sandy mound overgrown with bent, covers the remains of a chapel, parts of the walls of which were visible a few yards before 1872. Nothing is known of it beyond that it was a chapel of primitive build and that it was covered by sand drift. There are traces of ruins of unknown origin nearby.
Name Book 1872.
The very slight remains of foundation of a structure which may be a chapel, lie among sand dunes.
No trace of foundations. Visited by OS (N K B) 24 11 1964.
One dressed block of stone protrudes from the bank of the burn.
R J Mercer 1981.
There are no recognisable remains of a chapel. At the given location a light band of rubble is evident in the eroded face of a dune. The dressed block noted by Mercer is 9m to the S.
Visited by OS (J B) 8 September 1981.
George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 9, 36 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3399.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 110, No. 410 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Mercer, R J, 1981, Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: volume II, 1980-81, 135, No. 285 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG2511.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R J. 1981. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: volume II, 1980-81. University of Edinburgh. 30/12/1981. Paper and Digital. 135, No. 285.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 110, No. 410.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 9, 36.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9692 6566 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7253 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.