MHG252 - Lead Mine, Lurga
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- LEAD MINE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
(Cited as old lead mines, Gleann Dubh). Worked by Sir Alexander Murray of Stnhope c. 1733-43 and again in the early 19th century. The remains of open-cast works with ruined drystone buildings, at least one of which (at NM 735 553) was used for processing.
J R Hume 1977.
Remains of opencast workings and associated spoil heaps can be seen on both banks of a small burn 0.5km W of Lurga.
The mine was opened shortly before 1733 and production ran for about 10 years. In 1749 it was reported that the workings were flooded and that the smithy, storehouse and cabins had been demolished. Work resumed in 1803, but the scale of production was small and activity seems to have ceased by the middle of the century.
RCAHMS 1980, visited July 1972.
The monument consists of the remains of lead mines, opened around
1730, derelict by 1749, re-opened around 1803 and finally abandoned
Lurga, lead mines, Gleann Dubh. The remains take the form of open cast workings, with associated dumps of spoil, on both banks of a stream which enters Gleann Dubh from the W at Lurga, together with the remains of buildings dating from the second period of use. There are several ruined buildings at Lurga, all originally of drystone construction although one has been patched with mortar. At least one of the buildings is non-
residential, for a water-course has been constructed from the stream above and runs diagonally through the building, just below floor
level. This may represent a stamping or crushing mill. A pack-horse track, leading from Lurga towards Liddesdale on Loch Sunart, can be traced at several points on the slopes above Gleann Dubh.
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 20 February 1998.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Gaskell, P. 1968. Morvern transformed: a highland parish in the nineteenth century. 171.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hay and Stell, G D and G P. 1986. Monuments of industry. 155.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 158.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1980. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 3: Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll (excluding the early medieval and later monuments of Iona). . 251-2, No. 387.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 7320 5540 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM6787 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22680 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.