MHG25203 - Gardens, Castle Leod - Strathpeffer
Gardens around Castle Leod, Strathpeffer
Type and Period (2)
- GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- SUMMERHOUSE (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NB this number had previously been used for the Castle, but as was a duplicate has been deleted and re-allocated to the Castle Garden & Parkland -HAW 11/2003
1st ed OS shows very informal planting around the castle, with odd walks. Summer house marked to west of the castle and an unidentified oval feature to SSE of castle building - HAW 11/2003
A project of surveying and recording the archaeological sites within the grounds of Castle Leod was carried out by members of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS) in the winter of 2012-13.
Site 25. This enclosure defines the immediate area around the castle and is marked quite clearly on the 1762 map. The east boundary is the road and fence to the east of the castle and the west boundary which is indistinct for much of its length but can be detected as an abrupt change of slope, overgrown with rhododendrons, above and to the west of the castle. Site 11, the wall or bank to the north of the castle, forms the northern boundary of the enclosure and the south side is bounded for part of its length by a steep bank with a line of trees (and a fence); this line continues eastwards as the track 8. The enclosure is marked on FE OS map of 1872 and on the 1762 map it is annotated “Old Yard”.
No evidence of the Summerhouse marked on the FES was seen, it is possibly hidden in the undergrowth. <1>
1st Edition OS 6" <2>
Note. The NOSAS report incorrectly attributes the enclosure to MHG 23647 which is the Gate Lodge. (T.Blackie 5/2/20)
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Patullo, N. 1967. Castles, houses and gardens of Scotland. 14.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 150, No. 80.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Forman, S. 1967. Scottish country houses and castles.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacGibbon and Ross, D and T. 1896-7. The ecclesiastical architecture of Scotland from the earliest Christian times to the seventeenth century. Vol. 3, 557-9; Fig. 1531-2.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Tranter, N. 1962-70. The fortified house in Scotland. Vol. 5, 171-2.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stell, G. 1986. Architecture and society in Easter Ross before 1707. SHG1943. 99-132. 111-12.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Forman, S. 1957. 'Castle Leod', Scot Fld Vol. 105 July 1957, p.23-5. Scot Fld. 23-5. 23-5.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: North of Scotland Archaeological Society. 2013. Report of an archaeological survey of the Policies of Castle Leod, Strathpeffer, Ross-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.15 Site 25.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4857 5928 (207m by 170m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12469 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.