MHG2521 - St. Ciaran's Chapel
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- SHEEP FOLD (Undated)
- None recorded
Sheepfold (NAT) on site of
St Ciaran's Chapel (NR)
In Strathmore there was a chapel dedicated variously to St Ciran (NSA 1845), St Ciaran (ONB 1871; Morrison 1883; MacKay 1914) or St Queran or Kieran (Knight 1933).
St Ciaran is commemorated in a burial-place at Dalnawillan (ND 03 40) (MacKay 1914), where there was also an old chapel (Beaton 1909).
The sheepfold stands on site of chapel, and was constructed from stones thereof. Neither appearance nor knowledge of burial place here (ONB 1871).
NSA 1845; Name Book 1871; H Morrison 1883; D Beaton 1909; A MacKay 1914; F Knight 1933.
No evidence for a chapel having existed at either of places recorded above. According to shepherd at Dalganachan, the traditional site of chapel is about quarter of a mile NE of sheepfold, at NC 9897 4090, but here again there is no evidence of a chapel: visible remains are those of a typical depopulated farmstead.
Visited by OS (J L D) 21 May 1960.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1975. 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Halkirk Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.55-61. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 55-61. 55, 58.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D. 1909. Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes. 62.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Knight, G A F. 1933. Archaeological light on the early christianising of Scotland. Vol. 1, 373.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D (ed.). 1914. History of the Province of Caithness and Sutherland from the Earliest Times to 1615. 33.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Morrison, H. 1883. Tourist's guide to Sutherland and Caithness. 46.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 17, Caithness, 74.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 5, 4.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9848 4058 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7224 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.