MHG2533 - Chambered Cairn, Mill of Knockdee
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Mound (NR) OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
This is an Orkney-Cromarty type round cairn, now grass-covered and with a height of 3ft 6ins. Top has been removed and near the centre tops of four slabs can be seen, probably defining a chamber or inner compartment of a chamber.
RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963.
This chambered cairn is as described by Miss Henshall.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (RD) 5 November 1965.
(ND 1703 6077) Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, (1970)
A chambered cairn, 10m NE-SW by 9m transversely; turf has been stripped off SE face to secure a hold for a telegraph pole strainer. Otherwise as described. Visited by OS (JM) 29 October 1981.
The cairn is at edge of field of pasture in area of agricultural land, at c45m OD. The cairn has fairly well-defined edges with diameters of c9.6m. It rises undisturbed to a height of 1m, but top has been removed. 4 orthostats are exposed in centre of cairn. Two on E side, 3.85m from cairn edge and 0.6m apart, have the appearance of a pair of portal stones. S stone is 0.4m long, 0.3m thick and 0.5m high; N stone is 0.7m long, 0.25m thick, and 0.45m high. 3rd and 4th orthostats, about 0.25m lower and barely projecting above turf, appear to be part of S side and back of a chamber 1.75m long. S orthostat, 0.4m from S portal stone, is 0.35m long and of unknown thickness. W orthostat is 0.5m long and 0.25m thick.
Visited 30 June 1988. J L Davidson and A S Henshall 1991
Cairn. Dimensions: 10 x 9m. Circular grass-covered cairn with a central chamber defined by four slabs.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 3, No. 8 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 282-3, CAT 40 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S, 1991, The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents, 127-8, no. CAT 40 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2115.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 127-8, no. CAT 40.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 3, No. 8.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 282-3, CAT 40.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1703 6077 (39m by 38m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:468 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM468 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8525 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.