MHG2535 - Penannular Brooch - Geo of Bedsdale
A copper alloy penannular brooch and pin, found by metal detecting at Geo of Bedsdale.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (CULTURE 800; CULTURE NORSE; , Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
- None recorded
A metal detectorist found a penannular brooch and pin on the cliff edge at Harrow. The brooch is a 9th century Baltic style, made of copper alloy; the pin is derived from a different, larger brooch. It has been claimed as Treasure Trove, but has not yet been allocated to a museum. Daybook no: DB 1992/5.
Described in the NMS catalogue as a horseshoe type penannular brooch of copper alloy with traces of silver. Listed under Acc. No. 1992.23. <1>
Inverness Museum files have documentation from 1992 referring to this brooch, which appeared at the time to be in the NMS awaiting allocation by Treasure Trove (TT 440). <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: NMS. 1992. 'Harrow (Canisbay parish): Norse period penannular brooch', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1992, p.40. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 40. 40.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. 1992.23.
- <2> Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files. TT 440.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2850 7420 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- PENANNULAR BROOCH (Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/77959 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.