MHG2554 - Davidson's House, Bank St, Thurso
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A late 17th century town mansion stands at head of Bank Street, Thurso. The house, on the L-plan, measures 70ft by 26.5ft, and the wing on the S side is 15ft by 35ft. A fireplace lintel is dated 1679. RCAHMS 1911.
Local people who knew of the house sited it to ND 1172 6853, the building which used to stand at the junction of Bank Street and Davidson's Entry, now Beach Road. It has long since gone and a modern dwelling occupies the site.
Visited by OS (E G C) 18 April 1962.
No change. Visited by OS (J M) 1 October 1981.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 115-17, No. 425; plan, illust (Text/Report). SHG2664.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1172 6853 (21m by 30m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8437 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.