MHG2557 - Dovecot, Stemster House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DOVECOT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
ND16SE0027 Stemster House
ND26SE0008 Stemster House, memorial
ND16SE0038 Stemster house, building and enclosure
ND16SE 9 1831 6109.
(ND 1831 6109) Dovecot (NR) (remains of) OS 6" map, (1970)
A dilapidated dovecot stands N of Stemster House. It is 17ft 3ins square with span roof and crowstepped gables.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
This typical 17-18th century dovecot, now unroofed, is extant to a height of 4.5m. The crowstepped gables are no longer evident.
Visited by OS (R D) 11 November 1965.
No change. Visited by OS (J M) 29 October 1981.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 5, No. 14 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Beaton, E, 1978, 'Notes on four Caithness doocots', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 2 1978, p.121-4, 122 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1198.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Beaton, E. 1978. 'Notes on four Caithness doocots', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 2 1978, p.121-4. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 121-4. 122.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 5, No. 14.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1831 6109 (10m by 9m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:590 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB590 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8530 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.