MHG25649 - Roy Bridge, Drill Hall
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- DRILL HALL (19th Century to 20th Century - 1869 AD to 1947 AD)
- COMMUNITY CENTRE (20th Century to 21st Century - 1947 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
NN28SE Grid Ref: 2696 8132
Source: O/S 1:10,560 Map.
REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office
Payment for mason work 1871 GD 128/12/1
The Roybridge Memorial Hall by John Rhind was built in 1869 as a drill hall. A small dwelling was attached and there was a projecting wing for a former post office and store. The building was acquired in 1947 for community use. <1>
Martin Briscoe advises that the above grid reference is incorrect and should be NN 2698 8137. <2>
Martin Briscoe has submitted photos of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <3>
The Roy Bridge Memorial Hall, built as a drill hall by John Rhind in 1869, was the base for 10 Corps Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers. In 1903 the Lovat's Scouts took over the hall and added stables, a riding school and practice ground nearby. In 1914 the hall was the base for "A" Squadron, 1st Lovat's Scouts.
The building is T-shaped with a ground floor and attic with round-headed window at the front. The building was sold for 'community uses' in 1947.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <1> <4> <5>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 108169.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Martin Briscoe, 07/11/2011.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 60, table 35.
- <5> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 412.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 2698 8137 (33m by 23m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG25649 (Images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108169 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.